In this recipe, I will show you how to make Niigata Tsubame Sanjo Ramen 新潟燕三条背脂ラーメン. Tsubame Sanjo is a major type of ramen that originated around the cities of Sanjo and Tsubame in Niigata Prefecture. Tsubame-sanjo ramen uses very thick noodles so as to avoid noodles going soggy when the ramen was being delivered. The soup has a strong shoyu-based soup broth with a rich Niboshi flavor and is served with a thick layer of seabura (pork backfat) covering the surface of the soup which helps to keep the ramen piping hot!
In my recipe, the soup is made with tonkotsu (pork bone) and fish chintan (clear soup). For the handmade noodles a mix of bread flour and all-purpose flour was used, rolled into very thick noodles which makes Tsubame Sanjo Ramen special. The noodles are simply topped with chashu, chopped onions, ajitama, menma, iwanori (shredded seaweed) and of course a generous serving of seabura! This dish is great if you are someone who loves fatty ramen.
As always, I did not use any MSG because I try to use various alternative ingredients to bring out the umami in my own recipes.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Niigata Tsubame Sanjo Ramen
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 80nl
- USUKUCHI SHOYU 30ml
- THAI FISH SAUCE 15ml
- HON MIRIN 50ml
- COOKING SAKE 50ml
- RICE VINEGAR 5 ml
- SEA SALT 15g
- SUGAR 7g
- RISHIRI KOMBU 1pc
- BREAD FLOUR 200g
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR 200g
- WATER 152ml
- SALT 5g
- KANSUI 5g
- NIBOSHI 130g
- SABABUSHI 30g
- RISHII KOMBU 1pc
- WATER 1L
- PRE BPILED PORK BONE 1kg
- PRE BOILED PORK BACKBONE 300g
- WATER 2L
- PORK BELLY 400g
- PORK BELLY from STEP3
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 50ml
- COOKING SAKE 50ml
- SUGAR 1tbsp
- PORK BACK FAT 600g
- WATER 500ml
- ONION 1pc
- CHASHU from STEP4
- IWANORI (SEAWEED)
for Niigata Tsubame Sanjo Ramen
- RAMEN SAUCE 30ml
- SEABURA 2.5tbsp
- NOODLES 140g
- SOUP 300ml
STEP 1 : SAUCE
1. Add Koikuchi Shoyu, Usukuchi Shoyu, Hon Mirin, Cooking Sake, Rice Vinegar, Sea Salt, Sugar and Rishiri Kombu to a pot.
2. Bring sauce to a boil. Ramen Sauce is done.
STEP 2 : NOODLES
1. Add Bread Flour and All Purpose Flour to mixing bowl.
2. Mix with Water, Salt and Kansui.
3. Add kansui mixture to flour in batches until fully mixed.
4. Press to flatten and fold the dough.
5. Leave aside for 40min.
6. Roll into thick layers.
7. Noodles are done.
STEP 3 : SOUP
1. Add Niboshi, Sababushi and Rishiri Kombu to container.
2. Add Water, cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
3. Add Pre Boiled Pork Bone, Pre Boil Pork Backbone and Water to large high pressure pot. And Start to boil.
4. As soup start to boil, remove scum.
5. Simmer at low heat and add pork belly.
6. Simmer for 40min.
7. Remove pork belly which is for chashu.
8. Cover pot and use high pressure cooking for 1hour 30min.
9. Add Fishi Dashi.
10. Start to boil again at medium heat. Then Simmer 40min.
11. Stop boiling and string soup.
12. Ramen Soup is done.
STEP 4 : CHASHU
1. Add Pork Belly to resealable bag.
2. Add Chashu Sauce. (Koikuchi Shoyu, Cooking Sake and Sugar. Check HOW TO HAKATA RAMEN.)
3. Marinate for 3hours. Chashu is done.
STEP 5 : OIL
1. Add Pork Back Fat and Water to cooking pot.
2. Start to boil for about 2hours.
3. Cut Pork Back Fat.
4. Top up water from time to time while boiling.
5. Stop boiling when pork fat becomes very soft.
6. Mash pork fat using strainer.
7. Pork Back Fat (SEABURA) is done.
STEP 6 : TOPPING
1. Chop Onion finely.
2. Soak in water for 10min.
3. Slice Chashu into thick pieces.
4. Iwanori, Chopped Onion, Chashu, Ajitama and Menma. Toppings are done.
STEP 7 : NIIGATA TSUBAME SANJO RAMEN
1. Add Ramen Sauce and Oil(SEABURA) to a bowl.
2. Boil Noodles for 4min.
3. Add Soup to a bowl.
4. Add Noodle to a bowl.
5. Add topping to a bowl.
6. Niigata Tsubame Sanjo Ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.