Hello! In this recipe, I will show you how to make Sukiyaki Ramen which is actually an inspired version of Tokushima Ramen 徳島ラーメン. Tokushima is located on the east of Shikoku, they are well known for Tokushima Ramen which is normally made with shoyu-based soup, and topped with pork belly slices and raw egg instead of the usual ajitama. The soup is slightly sweeter due to shoyu and is similar to Sukiyaki.
For this recipe, the soup is made from pork and chicken boiled over a few hours. The ramen broth is milky and aromatic, with sweetness from ramen sauce which makes Tokushima Ramen unique. Noodles are smooth, moderately thin and moist. There is a little twist to my toppings used, I used beef slices which is commonly used in Sukiyaki and onsen egg instead of the raw egg. The beef slices when eaten with the onsen egg yolk and soup, creates exploding flavours.
As always, I did not use any MSG because I try to use various alternative ingredients to bring out the umami in my own recipes.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Sukiyaki Ramen (Tokushima Ramen Inspired)
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 70ml
- TAMARI SHOYU 30ml
- HON MIRIN 20ml
- COOKING SAKE 10ml
- OYSTER SAUCE 20g
- SEA SALT 5g
- HONEY 1.5tbsp
- RICE VINEGAR 10ml
- RISHIRI KOMBU 1pc
- PRE BOILED PORK BONES 1kg
- PRE BOILED PORK LEG 300g
- CHICKEN BONES 300g
- CHICKEN WINGS TIPS 350g
- WATER 2.7L
- ONION 1pc
- DRIED SHIITAKE MUSHROOM 2pc
- FLOUR 300g
- KANSUI 4g
- SALT 4g
- WATER 96ml
- BEAN SPROUTS 150g
- KOREAN CHILLI PASTE 1/2tsp
- SESAME OIL 1/2tsp
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 1/2tsp
- SESAME SEEDS
- COOKING SAKE 70ml
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 35ml
- SUGAR 2tbsp
- BEEF SLICE 200g
- CHOPPED SPRING ONIONS
for SUKIYAKI RAMEN
- RAMEN SAUCE 40ml
- NOODLES 140g
- SOUP 300ML
- ALL TOPPINGS
STEP 1 : SAUCE
1. Add Koikuchi Shoyu, Tamari Shoyu, Hon Mirin, Cooking Sake, Oyster Sauce, Sea Salt, Honey, Rice Vinegar and Rishiri Kombu into a pot.
2. Bring to boil at low heat.
3. Ramen Sauce is done.
STEP 2 : SOUP
1. Place Pre Boiled Pork Bones, Pre Boiled Pork Leg, Chicken Bones, Chicken Wing Tips and Water 2.2L into high pressure pot.
2. Start to boil at medium heat.
3. Remove Scum.
4. Contine to simmer 30min at medium heat.
5. Stop fire and cover the pot.
6. Start stove and cook for 90min.
7. Stop fire and wait until pressure is fully released.
8. After adding Onion, Dried Shiitake Mushroom and about Water 500ml.
9. Start to boil again at high heat.
10. Stir to break bones and prevent bottom from being burnt.
11. Continue to boil 40min.
12. Refill water back to the original level and bring to boil again.
13. Continue to boil 1.5 – 2hours, the longer you boil soup becomes thicker.
14. Stop stove.
15. Strain the soup.
16. Soup is done.
STEP 3 : NOODLES
1. Slowly add Kansui Mixture(Kansui, Salt and Water) into Flour.
2. Use a roller to press into a smooth flat dough.
3. Leave aside for 40min.
4. Use noodle machine to press dough.
5. Cut into medium thin noodles.
6. Noodles are done.
STEP 4 : TOPPINGS
1. Blanche Bean sprouts in boiling water for about 1min.
2. Soak in cold water until cool, remove and set aside.
3. Sprinkle some salt to bean sprouts.
4. Add Korean Chilli Paste, Sesame Oil, Koikuchi Shoyu and Sesame Seeds. Mix Everything well.
5. In a pot water of 75℃, add eggs and cook for 10min. Onsen egg is done.
6. Add Cooking Sake, Koikuchi Shoyu and Sugar into a fry pan.
7. Start stove to boil sauce.
8. Add Beef Slice.
9. Stir fry until beef is cooked.
10. Sliced Beef, Onsen Egg, Spicy Bean Sprouts and Chopped Spring Onions. Toopings are done.
STEP 5 : SUKIYAKI RAMEN
1. Add Ramen Sauce to a bolw.
2. Boil Noodles for 1.5min.
3. Add Soup.
4. Add Noodles and Toppings.
5. Sukiyaki Ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.