This is a 3-part series showcasing the 3 Great Ramens of Japan : Kitakata Ramen, Sapporo Ramen and Hakata Ramen. This part features Sapporo Ramen.
In this post, I will show you how to make Sapporo Miso Ramen 札幌方ラーメン. In 1955, the founder of Aji no Sanpei, Morito Omiya created “Miso Ramen” which changed the world of Ramen. Other ramen shops made popular from Sapporo includes Sumire, Dosanko, Shingen, Saimi, and Sora.
Sapporo is especially famous for Miso Ramen since, and the richness of the soup is great for the harsh winter in Hokkaido. Sapporo Miso Ramen is normally topped with sweetcorn, butter, bean sprouts, minced pork, and garlic. In some restaurants even local seafood like scallop, squid and crab are used as toppings.
In my recipe, I created the Miso Tare by mixing 2 types of Miso (Shiro Miso and Aka Miso) so as to have a blend of flavours. The soup is tonkotsu chintan (pork-based clear soup) boiled over 3 hours, in which I also used the pork belly as chashu that was lightly marinated. The noodles are handmade chijire-style (firm, curly) with high water content, naturally dyed yellow using cape jasmine gardenia (kuchinashi) and aged for 5 days.
As always, I did not use any MSG because I try to use various alternative ingredients to bring out the umami in my own recipes.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Sapporo Miso Ramen
STEP 1 : RAMEN SAUCE(タレ)
- SHIRO MISO 80g
- AKA MISO 80g
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 20ml
- SUGAR 10g
- GRATED ONION 80g
- GRATED GARLIC 10g
- COOKING SAKE 20ml
- SEA SALT 20g
- GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE 10g
- JAPANESE CHILLI POWDER 3g
1. Add all ingredients into mixing bowl.
2. Mix well.
3. Miso tare is done. Store in the fridge for 5 days.
STEP 2 : NOODLE(麺)
- WATER 200ml
- CAPE JASMINE GARDENIA (KUCHINASHI) HANDFUL
- EGG 1pc
- KANSUI 6g
- SALT 6g
- HOKKAIDO FLOUR 400g
1. Add water into pot.
2. Add cape jasmine gardenia into pot and start to boil.
3. When water turns orange, stop boiling and leave aside to cool.
4. Make kansui mixture. 1egg, kuchinashi water 148ml, kansui 6g and salt 6g.
5. Add kansui mixture into Hokkaido flour 400g in batches until fully mixed.
6. Put it in a bag and stretch it out with a rolling pin.
7. Leave aside for 40min.
8. Cut into medium thick noodles.
9. Noodles are done. Store 1day at room temperature, 4days in the fridge.
STEP 3 : RAMEN OIL (油)
- PORK FAT 300g
1. Add Pork fat 300g to pan.
2. Fry at low heat.
3. Remove fried pork lard when colour turns golden brown and crispy.
4. Ramen oil is done.
STEP 4 : RAMEN SOUP (スープ)
- PRE-BOILED PORK BONES 500g
- WATER 2.5L
- PORK BELLY 500g
- ONION 1pc
- GARLIC 4pcs
- SLICED GINGER 2pc
- DRIED SHIITAKE MUSHROOM 2pc
1. Add pre-boiled pork bones add to large pot.
2. Add water into pot and start to boil at medium heat.
3. As soup start to boil, remove scum.
4. Add pork belly into pot and change to low heat and simmer 2 hours.
5. Remove pork belly (to be uesd for chashu)
6. Add onion, garlic, sliced ginger dried shiitake mushrooms into pot and simmer 1 more hour.
7. Strain. Soup is done.
STEP 5 : CHASHU (チャーシュー)
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 50ml
- COOKING SAKE 50ml
- SUGAR 1tbsp
- PORK BELLY
1. Add koikuchi shoyu, cooking sake and sugar to sauce pan. Start to boil sauce.
2. Stop stove once sauce boils.
3. Marinate chashu in bag for 1 hour.
STEP 6 : TOPPING (トッピング)
- MINCED PORK 100g
- GRATED GARLIC 1tsp
- CHOPPED ONIONS 1tbsp
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 2.5tsp
- COOKING SAKE 1.5tsp
- BOILED CORN KERNELS 150g
- SPRING ONION
1. Mix salt, grated garlic 1tsp, chopped onions, koikuchi shoyu 1.5tsp, cooking sake 1.5tsp well with minced pork 100g.
2. Store in fridge for 1 hour.
3. Add boiled corn kernels 150g to heated pan with butter.
4. Add koikuchi shoyu 1tsp.
5. Shironegi, onion, spring onion, shashuslice thinly.
6. Beanspouts, sliced onion, minced pork, butter corn, menma, chashu, spring onions, sliced shironegi! Toppings all done.
STEP 6 : SAPPORO MISO RAMEN(札幌みそラーメン)
- PORK LARD 2tbsp
- MINCED PORK
- SLICED ONIONS
- BEAN SPROUTS
- SOUP 300ml
- MISO TARE 1tbsp
- NOODLES 140g
1. Add pork lard 2tbsp to pot and start to fry.
2. Add minced pork, sliced onions, bean sprouts, soup 300ml, miso tare 1tbsp to pot.
3. Check taste and adjust according to your preferance.
4. Knead into curly noodles 140g.
5. Boil noodles for 3min.
6. Sapporo miso ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.