In this recipe, I will show you how to make Gyokai Tonkotsu Ramen. Gyokai Tonkotsu Ramen is traditionally made of up fish and pork bones soup base.
For my recipe, I used pork bones and a mix of dried niboshi, sababushi to create a soup that is creamy, with fish-based umami. To complement this savoury recipe, I used low water content handmade noodles using different types of flour for a firm and springy texture. Chashu is made from pork arm / picnic which has less fat content for chewy texture, baked for sweet and smokey flavour.
As always, I did not use any MSG because I try to use various alternative ingredients to bring out the umami in my own recipes.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Gyokai Tonkotsu Ramen
for SAUCE (TARE)
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 100ml
- HON MIRIN 40ml
- THAI FISH SAUCE 10ml
- APPLE VINEGAR 10ml
- OYSTER SAUCE 10g
- SEA SALT 4g
- WATER 130ml
- KANSUI 5g
- SALT 5g
- HOKKAIDO RAMEN FLOUR 250g
- BREAD FLOUR 130g
- WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR 20g
for SOUP (BROTH)
- NIBOSHI 100g
- SABABUSHI 50g
- PRE BOILED PORK BONES 1kg
- PRE BOILED CHICKEN FEET 300g
- PORK ARM 500g
- PORK FAT 300g
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 100ml
- COOKING SAKE 70ml
- SUGER 1tbsp
- PORK ARM from STEP 3
- PORK LARD 100ml
- CHOPPED GARLIC 15g
- SABABUSHI 15g
- SHIRONEGI 1pc
- FRIED GARLIC
- YUZU PEEL
STEP 1 : SAUCE (TARE)
1. Add Koikuchi Shoyu, Hon Mirin, Thai Fish Sauce, Apple Vinegar, Oyster Sauce and Sea Salt into pot.
2. Boil at low heat until alcohol evaporates.
3. Ramen sauce is done.
STEP 2 : NOODLES
1. Mix Water, Kansui and Salt evenly.
2. Add Hokkaido Ramen Flour to mixing bowl.
3. Add Bread Flout and Whole Grain Wheat Flour into mixing bowl.
4. Add kansui mixture and stir into flour in batches until fully bombined.
5. Use a roller to flatten and fold until a flat dough forms.
6. Leave aside for 40min.
7. Cut into medium thick noodles.
8. Noodles are done.
STEP 3 : SOUP (BROTH)
1. Add Niboshi, Sababushi and Water to container.
2. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge to make dashi.
3. Add Pre Boiled Pork Bones, Pre Boiled Chicken Feet, Pork Arm and Water to high pressure pot.
4. Start boiling at high heat.
5. When soup boils remove scum.
6, Simmer 30min at low heat.
7. Remove pork arm to be used as chashu.
8. Cover the pot and cook at high pressure for 1 hour.
9. Turn off stove, remove cover after taking out pressure.
10. Remove about 90% of the soup from the pot and set aside.
11. Refill water to the same level as before.
12. Add Pork Fat to pot.
13. Start boiling at high heat.
14. Keep the soup boiling at high heat for 1 hour.
15. Add back soup that was removed at the 1st round of boiling.
16. Continue to boil 40min.
17. Add The Dashi into soup.
18. Boil at medium heat for 20min.
19. Stop boiling and strain soup.
20. Gyokai Tonkotsu soup is done.
STEP 4 : CHASHU
1. Add Koikuchi Shoyu, Cooking Sake and Suger to sauce pan.
2. Bring sauce to boil, stop fire and chashu sauce is done.
3. Marinate pork arm in sauce for 1 hour.
4. Coat Honey all sides of chashu evenly.
5. Bake at 180 deg C for 20min.
6. Chashu is done.
STEP 5 : OIL
1. Add Pork Lard, Chopped Garlic and Sababushi to a pan.
2. Start to fry at low heat for 20-30min.
3. Ramen oil is done.
STEP 6 : TOPPING
1. Slice Shironegi evenly.
2. Soak in water for 10min.
3. Slice Chashu into thin pieces.
4. Toppings all done.
STEP 7 : GYOKAI TONKOTSU RAMEN
1. Add Ramen Sauce and Oil into a bowl.
2. Boil Noodles for 2.5min.
3. Add Ramen Soup into a bowl.
4. Add Noodles into a bowl.
5. Add all toppings.
6. Gyokai Tonkotsu Ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.