This Black Garlic Oil Tonkotsu Ramen recipe is inspired by Kumamoto ramen. The ma-yu マー油, also known as black garlic oil is a characteristic of Kumamoto ramen and combined with Tonkotsu broth adds an extra rich flavor and sweetness to the ramen soup.
In this recipe of Black Garlic Oil Tonkotsu Ramen, the deeply flavourful soup is made with pork and chicken bones strongly boiled for 3 times to build a milky consistency. The black garlic oil is made by frying garlic chips in pork lard and grinding the fried chips into the oil. The chashu is made sous vide for a tender bite while having a slight char at the sides for some smokiness to the meat.
As always, I did not use any MSG because I try to use various alternative ingredients to bring out the umami in my own recipes.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Black Garlic Oil Tonkotsu Ramen
- DRIED SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS 3pc
- HIDAKA KOMBU 12g
- DRIED SCALLOPS 20g
- SABABUSHI 20g
- WATER 320ml
- HON MIRIN 70ml
- COOKING SAKE 40ml
- USUKUCHI SHOYU 80ml
- THAI FISH SAUCE 20ml
- SEA SALT 30g
- OYSTER SAUCE 25g
- WATER + EGG 145g
- SALT 5g
- KANSUI 5g
- HOKKAIDO RAMEN FLOUR 400g
for TONKOTSU SOUP
- PRE BOILED PORK BONE 1kg
- CHICKEN CARCASS 500g
- WATER 2.5L
- PORK FAT 300g
- ONION 1pc
- SLICED GARLIC 100g
- PORK LARD 100g
- PORK SHOULDER LOIN 500g
- SALT 5g
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 50g
- SHIRONEGI (WHITE PART) 1pc
- SPRING ONIONS 1pc
- AJITAMA 1pc
- SLICED BLACK FUNGUS
for BLACK GARLIC OIL TONKOTSU RAMEN
- RAMEN SAUCE 35ml
- MINCED GARLIC
- GROUND SESAME 1tsp
- NOODLES 130g
- TONKOTSU SOUP 300ml
- ALL TOPPINGS
STEP 1 : SAUCE
1. Add Dried Shiitake Mushrooms 3pc, Hidaka Kombu 12g, Dried Scallops 20g and Sababushi 20g to a container.
2. Add Water 320ml until ingredients are submeraged, cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
3. Add overnight dashi & ingredients into a sauce pan.
4. Add Hon Mirin 70ml and Cooking Sake 40ml to sauce pan.
5. Cook at low heat until temperature reach about 70C, Keep simmering for 40min.
6. Stop fire and strain dashi. Dashi is done.
7. Pour Dashi 260ml into a cooking pot.
8. Add Usukuchi Shoyu 80ml, Thai Fish Sauce 20ml and Sea Salt 30g to a cooking pot.
9. Start cooking sauce at low heat and stir until all ingredients are fully dissolved.
10. Add Oyster Sauce 25g and stir to mix. Ramen Sauce is done.
STEP 2 : NOODLES
1. Add Water + Egg 145g, Salt 5g and Kansui 5g into a measuring cup. Stir until Kansui solution is fully mixed.
2. Add Hokkaido Ramen Flour 400g to a large mixing bowl.
3. Combine Kansui solution and Flour.
4. Using a roller, Press into a smooth dough.
5. Use noodle machine to form smooth and long dough.
6. Cut into medium thin noodles. Noodles are done.
STEP 3 : TONKOTSU SOUP
1. Add Pre Boiled Pork Bone 1kg, Chicken Carcass 500g and Water 2.5L to a large soup pot.
2. Start boiling with strong fire.
3. Remove scum as soup starts to boil.
4. Change to low heat and add Pork Fat 300g.
5. Simmer 2hours.
6. Switch to high heat and maintain soup at boiling point for 40min.
7. Refill water to the original level.
8. Add Onion 1pc. Continue to boil for 40min.
9. Refill water to original level again and continue to boil 40min.
10. After the 3rd boil, the soup turns a milky color. Stop boiling and strain soup.
11. Tonkotsu Soup is done.(about 1.5L)
STEP 4 : OIL
1. Sliced Garlic 100g.
2. Add Pork Lard 100g to a sauce pan and start cooking at low heat.
3. Add Garlic.
4. When Garlic turns golden brown remove about 1/4 portion and leave aside.
5. When Garlic chips turn darker brown, remove the same portion and leave aside.
6. Remove a larger portion just before garlic gets burnt and keep only a little bit.
7. Turn off stove and leave aside to cool.
8. Add the remaining garlic oil and burnt garlic int a mortar.
9. Add all previously set aside garlic ships.
10. Grind until black oil forms. Black garlic oil is done.
STEP 5 : CHASHU
1. Spread about 5g Salt all over Pork Shoulder Loin 500g and leave aside for 30min.
2. Use kitchen towel to dry the water that came out of meat.
3. Add Koikuchi Shoyu 50g together with meat, in a bag and seal.
4. Sous vide at 65C for 2hour 50min.
5. Lightly char all sides on a sauce pan. Chashu is done.
STEP 6 : TOPPING
1. Slice Shironegi 1pc thinly and soak in water for 10min.
2. Slice Spring Onions thinly.
3. Cut Chashu into thick slices.
4. Spring Onions, Chachu, Ajitama, Sliced Black Fungus, Menma, Shironegi. Toppings all done.
STEP 7 : BLACK GARLIC OIL TONKOTSU RAMEN
1. Add Ramen Sauce 35ml.
2. Add Minced Garlic.
3. Add Ground Sesame 1tsp.
4. Boil Noodles 130g for 1.5min.
5. Add Tonkotsu Soup 300ml.
6. Add boiled Noodles.
7. Add all toppings and garlic oil.
8. Black Garlic Tonkotsu Ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.