Hello, in this recipe I will show you how to make my own original recipe of Japanese Shio Ramen from scratch, using all-natural ingredients, with no MSG added.
Shio Ramen is usually light, with a clear broth seasoned with salt so that the taste focuses on the soup. My soup is made with pork-bones slowly boiled over long hours.
The total preparation time is about 2 days as you will need some time for dashi, boil pork soup, noodle, and for making ajitama. If you wish to learn how to make ajitama (flavoured egg) please refer to my first recipe where I made Japanese Shoyu Ramen.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Japanese Shio Ramen
- PORK BELLY
- OLIVE OIL
- FLOUR 350g
- SALT 10g
- KANSUI 10g
- WATER 160ml
- CORN STARCH
for SAUCE & OIL
- DRIED NIBOSHI 100g
- DRIED FISH FLAKES 100g
- SHIITAKE 4pcs
- DRIED HOTATE(SCALLOP) 5pcs
- MIRIN 200ml
- SALT 85g
- ROCK SUGAR 30g
- LIGHT SOYA SAUCE 250ml
- APPLE VINEGAR 20ml
- PORK FAT 200g
- GARLIC 1pc
- DRIED PORCINI MUSHROOM 1pc
for TONKOTSU SOUP
- PORK BONE 2pcs
- CARROT 3 slices
- SELERY 1pc
- GARLIC 2pcs
- ONION 1/2pc
- LEEK 1pc
- RED ONION 1/2pc
- GREEN SHISO LEAVES
- FRIED HOTATE from STEP3
- FRIED PORCINI from STEP3
- CHASHU from STEP1
for CLAM SOUP
- CLAMS(washed) 400g
- KOMBU 1sheet
- DRIED SHIITAKE 2pcs
STEP 1 : CHASHU
1. Add salt on all sides of Pork Belly.
2. Put Pork in ziplock bag with Olive Oil.
3. Place in 75℃ hot water. Keep warm for Overnight ~10H. CHASHU is done.
STEP 2 : NOODLES
1. Mix with Water, Kansui and Salt.
2. Add mixture into flour skowly.
3. Wait 40min.
4. Knead into dough.
5. Wrap in plastic wrap and wait 40 min.
6. Flatten dough.
7. Leave overnight.
8. Repeat 3 more times.
9. Flatten with roller.
10. Flatten dough using pasta machine.
11. Coat with corn starch.
12. Cut with a noodle machine. Noodles is done.
STEP 3 : SAUCE & OIL
1. Put Dried Niboshi, Dried Fish Flakes, Kombu and Dried Shiitake in water 2L.
2. Separately, put Hotate in water 350ml.
3. Soak overnight.
4. Boil about 30min at low fire.
5. Filter soup with strainer.
6. Sakana(Fish) Dashi is done.
7. Boil Hotate soup at low fire for 20min.
5. Filter soup with strainer. Hotate Dashi is done.
6. Add Hotate Dashi 150ml, Sakana Dashi 350ml, Mirin, Salt, Rock Sugar and Light soya sauce into a pot.
7. Simmer slowly but do not bring it to boil.
8. Stop fire, add apple vinegar.
9. Shio Tare (Sauce) is done.
10. Add Pork Fat and Hotate from before into a pot.
11. Simmer at small fire.
12. When oil start to boil, add garlic and dried porcini mushroom.
13. Filter soup with strainer. Ramen Oil is done.
14. Keep ingredients as topping for ramen.
STEP 4 : PORK SOUP
1. Boil Prok Bones in water until fully cooked.
2. Remove from pot and rinse before placing aside.
3. Potk Bones in water 4L. Simmer to boil with slow fire.
4. Remove scrum.
5. Continue to simmer for 7hours.
6. Add Carrot, Celery, Garlice and Onion.
7. Continue to simmer in slow fire for 1hour.
8. Filter soup with strainer. Pork Soup is done.
STEP 5 : TOPPING
1. Slice Leek.
2. Put in water after slicing.
3. Finely chop the red onion.
4. Put in water for about 10min.
5. Slice Green Shiso Leaves.
6. Slice Fried Hotate and Porcini from STEP 3.
7. Slice Chashu from STEP 1.
8. Topping is done.(I also added Ajitama & Menma)
STEP 6 : CALM SOUP
1. Simmer Calms with Kombu and Water 2L in small fire.
2. Remove Kombu before water boils.
3. Add Dried Shiitake.
4. Remove scrum. Continue to simmer for 40min.
5. Put Katsuobushi, stop fire and wait. Remove ingredients and clam soup is done.
STEP 6 : SHIO RAMEN
1. Add Pork Soup and Clam Soup (1/2 portion ~ 330ml each) into a pot.
2. Bring double soup to boil.
3. Add Dried Hotate, Porcini and Green Shiso into a bowl.
4. Add Shio Tare (Sauce).
5. Add Hotate Oil.
6. Noodles in boiling water for 2min.
7. Add Soup into a bolw.
8. Add Noodles.
9. Put the remaining toppings.
10. Shio Ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.