Hello! In this recipe I will show you how to make the popular Jiro-style Ramen (二郎系ラーメン). Jiro-style ramen is a unique style of ramen sold at Ramen Jiro, a chain of shops founded by Takumi Yamada. Due to the huge popularity, there are now many other inspired shops that has opened all over Japan.
Jiro-style ramen is well-known for large portions with a lot of vegetables and uses shoyu sauce, pork broth and pork fat to create strong distinctive flavours. It is so popular that there is a fan-base called Jirorian (ジロリアン) who tries to visit many different Jiro-style ramen shops to try the various recipes.
In my recipe, I try to create my own version using no MSG (as always) but a variety of ingredients to bring out the powerful flavours that makes Jiro-style ramen. I also maintain the speciality of Jiro-style ramen, using a lot of vegetables, pork broth & pork fat, as well as thick noodles. The results are amazing, very addictive taste which makes you crave for more.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Jiro Ramen
for RAMEN SAUCE
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 200ml <Buy KOIKUCHI SHOYU from Amazon>
- MIRIN 100ml <Buy HON MIRIN from Amazon>
- THAI FISH SAUCE 30ml <Buy THAI FISH SAUCE from Amazon>
- SUGAR 20g
- SEA SALT 10g
- KOMBU POWDER 15g <Buy RISHIRI KOMBU from Amazon>
for CHASHU SAUCE
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 100ml <Buy KOIKUCHI SHOYU from Amazon>
- COOKING SAKE 50ml
- WATER 50ml
- SHIRONEGI(GREEN PART)
- SUGAR 2tbsp
- PRE BOILED PORK BONES 400g
- PRE BOILED PORK BACKBONE 500g
- WATER 3L
- PORK SPARE RIBS 3pcs
- WATER 500ml
- PORK FAT 1pc
- MINCED PORK FAT 200g
- WATER 500ml
- PORK SPARE RIBS from STEP2
- CHASHU SAUCE from STEP1
- WATER 105ml
- KANSUI 4g <Buy KANSUI from Amazon>
- SALT 4g
- FLOUR 250g
- SEMOLINA 50g <Buy SEMOLINA from Amazon>
- BOILED PORK FAT from STEP2
- MARINATED QUAIL EGGS
- CHASHU(MARINATED SPARE RIBS) from STEP3
- CHICKEN WINGS 500g
for JIRO RAMEN
- BOIL BEANSPROUTS
- BOIL CABBAGE
- RAMEN SAUCE 40ml
- CHOPPED SHIRONEGI 2tsp
- PORK FAT 2.5tbsp
- NOODLES 180g
- SOUP 300ml
- CHASHU(MARINATED SPARE RIBS) from STEP2
- MARINATED QUAIL EGGS
- CHOPPED GARLIC 2tsp
- PAPRIKA POWDER
- BLACK PEPPER
STEP 1 : SAUCE
1. Add Koikuchi Shoyu, Mirin, Thai Fish Sauce, Sugar and Sea Salt into a pot.
2. Start boiling at medium fire. And stir to mix evenly.
3. When sauce has boiled and mirin alcohol evaporated, stop fire.
4. Add Kombu Powder into sauce and stir to mix.
5. Ramen Sauce is done.
6. Next I will make chashu sauce. Add Koikuchi Shoyu, Cooking Sake, Water, Sugar, Shironegi and garlic into pot.
7. Start fire to boil sauce.
8. Once alcohol from cooking sake has all evaporated, stop fire. Chashu Sauce is done.
STEP 2 : SOUP
1. Add Pre Boiled Pork Bones, Pre Boiled Pork Backbone, Pork Spare Ribs and Water into a large pot.
2. Start stove at strong fire to boil.
3. Once soup start to boil, remove scum.
4. Switch to low fire and continue to simmer for 90min.
5. Remove Spare Ribs from pot.
6. Add Water 500ml, Pork Fat and Minced Pork Fat into the soup.
7. Change to strong fire.
8. When soup is boiling, cover and continue to boil 40min.
9. After 40min, add more Water 500ml into pot.
10. Cover again and boil 40min more.
11. Remove Pork Fat from soup.
12. Stop fire.
13. Strain the Soup. Soup is done.
STEP 3 : CHASHU
1. Put Spare Ribs into ziplock bag.
2. Add Chashu Sauce into bag and compress before locking.
3. Marinate for 90min and Chashu is done.
STEP 4 : NOODLES
1. Mix with Water, Kansui and Salt.
2. Add kansui mix into Flour and Semolina and stir.
3. Use a roller to press into a smooth flat dough.
4. Using a noodle machine, make flat and long roll of dough.
5. For Jiro-Style ramen use thick noodles.
6. Noodles are done.
STEP 5 : TOPPINGS
1. Use strainer to mince Pork Fat from STEP2
2. Pork Fat(Ramen Oil) is done.
3. Chop Shironegi finely.
4. Cut Cabbage into smaller pieces.
5. Chop Garlic finely.
6. Washed Bean spouts, Sliced Cabbage, Chopped Shironegi, Marinated quail eggs and Marinated Spare Ribs(Chashu). Toppings are done.
STEP 6 : JIRO RAMEN
1. Boil Bean Sprouts and Cabbage for about 20sec.
2. Add Ramen Sauce, Chopped Shironegi and Pork Fat into a bowl.
3. Boil Noodles for 1.5min.
4. Add Soup into a bowl.
5. Add Noodles into a bowl.
6. Add a lot of Boiled Bean Sprouts and Cabbage, this is what make JIRO=STYLE RAMEN special.
7. Add all toppings.
8. Add Paprika Powder and Black Pepper on Spare Rib.
9. Jiro Ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.