In this recipe, I will show you a new recipe for Shio Ramen. Shio basically means ‘salt’ in Japanese. The tare used to make Shio Ramen is mainly salt-based. Shio Ramen tends to be lighter than other types of ramen, and brings out the flavour of the ramen broth.
For my recipe, I used a combination of 3 different type of salt to make the Shio Tare. The soup is a mixture of pork and chicken boiled over a few hours for a strong flavourful soup base. This is complemented by shrimp ramen oil, medium thick chewy noodles and tender soft pork belly chashu. There is also a touch of yuzu peel topping for a citrusy feel as you savour the soup.
As always, I did not use any MSG because I try to use various alternative ingredients to bring out the umami in my own recipes.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Shio Ramen Recipe ver.2
for RAMEN SAUCE
- DRIED SHRIMP 35g
- DRIED SCALLOPS 35g
- RISHIRI KOMBU 1pc
- DRIED SHIITAKE 2pc
- WATER 600ml
- HON MIRIN 100ml
- COOKING SAKE 25ml
- APPLE VINEGAR 25ml
- 3 TYPES SALT (HIMALAYAN PINK SALT and 2 DIFFERENT SEA SALT) 40g
- EGG 1pc
- WATER 120~130ml
- KANSUI 4g
- SALT 4g
- HOKKAIDO RAMEN FLOUR 390g
- WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT 10g
for RAMEN SOUP (BROTH)
- PRE BOILED PORK BONE 1pc
- PRE BOILED PORK BACKBONE 250g
- CHICKEN CARCASS 3pc
- PORK BELLY 500g
- WATER 3L
- ONION 1pc
- SHIRONEGI LEAVES 3pc
- DRIED SHIITAKE 2pc
- RISHIRI KOMBU 1pc
- NIBOSHI 15g
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 100ml
- COOKING SAKE 70ml
- SUGAR 1tbsp
- PORK BELLY from STEP3
for RAMEN OIL
- PORK LARD 150g
- DRIED SHRIMP 30g
- SHIRONEGI 1pc
- CHASHU from STEP4
- YUZU PEEL
for SHIO RAMEN
- RAMEN SAUCE 40ml
- RAMEN OIL 1tbsp
- NOODLES 130g
- RAMEN SOUP(BROTH) 300ml
- ALL TOPPINGS
STEP 1 : RAMEN SAUCE
1. Add Dried Shrimp, Dried Scallops, Rishiri Kombu, Dried Shiitake and Water to a container. After adding Water, cover the container and leave overnight in fridge. (It’s Dashi.)
2. Add Dashi into pot.
3. Start to boil at low heat.
4. When Dashi reach 95C, continue to simmer for 40min.
5. After 40min, Bring to boil and stop fire.
6. Strain Dashi.
7. Add Dashi 300ml, Hon Mirin, Cooking Sake, Apple Vinegar and 3 Types Salt into a pot.
8. Start boiling at low heat.
9. Stir to fully mix the salt, once alcohol fully evaporates turn off stove.
10. Ramen Sauce is done.
STEP 2 : NOODLES
1. Add Egg and Water to a cup totalling 150g and mix evenly.
2. Add Kansui and Salt and mic evenly.
3. Add Hokkaido Ramen Flour and Whole Grain Wheat Flour to a large mixing bowl.
4. Add Kansui mixture to flour in batches until fully combined.
5. Place flour into bag, roll and fold until smooth flat dough forms.
6. Set aside for 40min.
7. Use noodle machine to make into flat and long dough.
8. Cut into medium thick noodles.
9. Noodles are done.
STEP 3 : RAMEN SOUP (RAMEN BROTH)
1. Add Pre Boiled Pork Bone, Pre Boiled Pork Backbone, Chicken Carcass, and Pork Belly to a large pot.
2. Add Water until everything is fully covered.
3. Start to boil at medium heat.
4. Remove scum when the soup boils.
5. Change to low heat and simmer for 1hour.
6. Remove Pork Belly to be used for CHASHU.
7. Continue to simmer another 2hours.
8. Add Onion and Shironegi Leaves into soup.
9. Simmer for another 1hour.
10. Add Fried Shiitake, Rishiri Kombu and Niboshi to soup.
11. Continue to simmer 1hour at very low heat.
12. Turn off stove and strain soup.
13. Soup (Broth) is done.
STEP 4 : CHASHU
1. Add Koikuchi Shoyu, Cooking Sake and Sugar to a sauce pan.
2. Bring the sauce to boil.
3. Marinate Chashu in sauce for 40min.
4. Chashu is done.
STEP 5 : RAMEN OIL
1. Add Pork Lard and Dried Shrimp to a pot.
2. Start to fry at low heat for 40min.
3. Ramen Oil is done.
STEP 6 : TOPPING
1. Cut Shironegi into thin strips.
2. Soak in water for 10min.
3. Slice Chashu into thick pieces.
4. Shironegi, Chashu, Peasprouts, Menma and Yuzu Peel. All Toppings done.
STEP 7 : SHIO RAMEN
1. Add Ramen Sauce to a bowl.
2. Add Ramen Oil to a bowl.
3. Boil Noodles for 2min.
4. Add Ramen Soup (Ramen Broth) to a bowl.
5. Add Noodles to a bowl.
6. Add all Toppings to a bowl.
7. Shio Ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.