Tori Paitan 鶏白湯 means Creamy Chicken Soup in Japanese. For this recipe of the classic Tori Paitan Ramen 鶏白湯ラーメン, I used purely chicken and vegetables to make the soup base.
This ramen is complemented with a shio tare (ramen sauce) and fragrant onion oil to allow you to enjoy full flavours of the soup broth which is savoury yet not too thick. The noodles are handmade using Hokkaido flour and wholegrain wheat flour for a chewy texture. I also made pork cheek chashu which is tender yet crunchy when eating.
As always, I did not use any MSG because I try to use various alternative ingredients to bring out the umami in my own recipes.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, visit my youtube channel if you do! Please also subscribe if you wish to watch more ramen recipe videos and feel free to leave a comment for request of any ramen recipes. Thank you!
How to make Tori Paitan Ramen
- DRIED SCALLOPS 50g <Buy DRIED SCALLOPS from Amazon>
- DRIED SQUID 1pc <Buy DRIED SQUID from Amazon>
- DRIED SHIITAKE 2pc <Buy DRIED SHIITAKE from Amazon>
- RISHIRI KOMBU 1pc <Buy RISHIRI KOMBU from Amazon>
- WATER 600ml
- HON MIRIN 80ml <Buy HON MIRIN from Amazon>
- THAI FISH SAUCE 20ml <Buy THAI FISH SAUCE from Amazon>
- APPLE VINEGAR 10ml
- SEA SALT 40g
- OYSTER SAUCE 20ml <Buy OYSTER SAUCE from Amazon>
- WATER 150ml
- SALT 4g
- KANSUI 4g <Buy KANSUI from Amazon>
- HOKKAIDO RAMEN FLOUR 390g
- WHOLEGRAIN WHEAT FLOUR 10g
for SOUP (BROTH)
- WHOLE CHICKEN 1pc
- CHICKEN WINGS 500g
- WATER 2L
- ONION 1pc
- GARLIC 8pc
- PORK CHEEKS 2pc
- WATER 250ml
- KOIKUCHI SHOYU 100ml <Buy KOIKUCHI SHOYU from Amazon>
- COOKING SAKE 100ml
- PORK LARD 150g
- SLICED ONION 1/2pc
- SHIRONEGI 1pc
- PORK CHEEKS CHASHU from STEP4
STEP 1 : SAUCE
1. Add Dried Scallops, Dried Squid, Dried Shiitake, Rishiri Kombu and Water to a container.
2. After adding Water, cover and leave dashi overnight in the fridge.
3. Add dashi into sauce pan. And simmer dashi at 80℃ for 40min.
4. Strain dashi.
5. Add Dashi 250ml, Hon Mirin, Thai Fish Sauce, Apple Vinegar, Sea Salt and Oyster Sauce to a cooking pot.
6. Start boiling and stir to mix well.
7. Stop fire when alcohol is fully evaporated.
8. Shio Tare (SAUCE) is done.
STEP 2 : NOODLES
1. Add Water, Salt and Kansui in a measuring cup.
2. Stir kansui solution well.
3. Add Hokkaido Ramen Flour and Wholegrain Wheat Flour to mixing bowl. Stir to mix the 2 types of Flour.
4. Slowly add kansui solution to flour to combine.
5. Use a roller to press into a smooth flat dough.
6. Leave the dough aside for 40min.
7. Using a noodle machine, make flat and long roll of dough.
8. Cut into noodles of medium thickness. Noodles are done.
STEP 3 : SOUP (BROTH)
1. Add Whole Chicken, Chicken Wings and Water to a high pressure pot.
2. Start to boil at high heat.
3. Remove scum as soup starts to boil.
4. Add Onion and Garlic.
5. Cook at high pressure for 1.5hours.
6. Stop boiling and release pressure.
7. Start to boil again at high heat and keep boiling for 30min.
8. Add water until the original level.
9. Crush the chicken. And continue to boil for 40min.
10. Add water again to original level.
11. Boil another 40min.
12. Strain soup.
13. Tori paitan (chicken soup) is done.
STEP 4 : CHASHU
1. Add Pork Cheeks, Water, Koikuchi Shoyu and Cooking Sake to cooking pot.
2. Start boiling temperature reach 78.5℃ and keep cooking for 30min.
3. Turn pork cheeks and cook another 30min.
4. Stop stove and leave pork cheeks to cool in the sauce.
5. Pork Cheek Chashu is done.
STEP 5 : OIL
1. Add Pork Lard and Sliced Onion to sauce pan.
2. Start to fry at low heat until onion turns golden brown.
3. Onion Oil is done.
STEP 6 : TOPPING
1. Slice Shironegi thinly and soak in water for 10min.
2. Remove the fatty skin at the top and slice into thick pieces.
3. Toppings all done.
STEP 7 : TORI PAITAN RAMEN
1. Add Shio Tare (sauce), Ramen Oil and Black Pepper to a bowl.
2. Boil Noodles for 2.5min.
3. Add Tori Paitan (chicken soup) to a bowl.
4. Add Noodles and All Toppings.
5. Tori Paitan Ramen is done.
Make your own ramen
If you’d like to make authentic ramen like this recipe, you can make your own with all the ingredients and cooking utensils!
You can buy the ingredients for ramen RAMEN KAONASHI STORE.